I've had this pattern since last June, but never got up the nerve to sew it. First of, this dress has an invisible zipper, which I have been terrified of doing after a total failure on a pair of pants for Anita. Luckily she is such a flagpole that I was able to skip it and just do an elastic waist on those pants. Second, I have been waiting for the perfect combo of fabrics for this amazing dress.
And third, the invisible zipper thing.
At last the stars aligned, I had the perfect fabrics and decided I just had to conquer that fear!
I made the horizontal split back with piping and fully lined.
I guess my zipper could be a little more hidden but oh well, better luck next time!
I don't have an invisible zipper foot for my sewing machine and since I used white piping
I kind of like the contrast it gives.
Anita is three and a half years old now, I sewed up a size 4 for her. It's a bit roomy
but I like that she will be able to wear it for some time as it is just so darn cute!
As for the fabrics. The solid color one is interweave chambray in sorbet from imagine gnats.
It looks like she is out of that color, but there are some other great colors there,
it is so so soft and nice to work with.
If you are into sewing and follow a sewing blog or two you probably know that the butterfly
fabric is from cotton + steel the Moonlit collection called The Monarchy Bysantine.
I got it from the Miss Matatabi store on Etsy.
I have had the hardest time selecting which cotton + steel fabric to buy,
I just love them all, so if anybody would want to send me some bolts of them
I totally wouldn't mind at all!!
Anita LOVES the great big pocket!
I am so glad I finally made this dress. It was somewhat challenging to sew but in a very good way. The instructions are really good and walk you through the entire process.
I will for sure make it again, maybe in one of the other versions,
when I stumble up on the perfect fabrics again.
Anita was sick during this photoshoot, so I had to rush through taking pictures of three dresses, the one in my previous post, this one and the one in my next post.
I see my lighting was off as in the very sharp shadows and my backdrop is all wrinkly. But we will just have to live with that for now and hope for better results next time.